- The implementation of environmental flow regime is considered by all participants by far the most important action needed in the Tordera basin. This option, which addresses the challenge “water quantity”, would indeed provide an answer to the current the depletion of water bodies, allowing a certain quantity of water to be kept in the river for maintaining ecosystem functionality. Its implementation would trigger a whole set of improvements of different kinds, like recovering hydrologic connectivity between water bodies, correct sediment dynamics and improved water quality.
- Creating a permanent participation centre is considered crucial to improve integrated water management of the Tordera Basin. Different issues are not being implemented, like the revision of current exploitation rates of water bodies, because of a lack of adequate procedures to take into account local socio-economic drivers into decision making and technical planning procedures.
- Creating “Adaptive forest management agreements” reached the highest score of the whole Tordera set of water management options evaluation process, and answers to the challenge to improve current forest management in the basin. Until a certain degree, many actions of those included in this option are already implemented in the Montseny and Montnegre-Corredor natural parks: like thinning, clearing, eradication of alien species, erosion prevention and other specific interventions, like facilitating grazing. Nevertheless, these should be consolidated and expanded, making use of lessons learned.
- To “Create an Integrated Plan for the Protection of the Tordera Delta (IPPTD)” is considered an important process to reach better resilience to global change in the basin, by improving the health of water and forest related ecosystems. An integrated planning process would also enhance the effectiveness of actions taken by combining sectorial approaches and assure engagement of all stakeholders in its design and development.
- Adaptation Plan for the Tordera River Basin
- Methodological background document
- Results background document